7-Year-Old Recovering From Rattle Snake Bite
Updated: Friday, June 27 2014, 06:49 PM CDT
HARRISON, Neb. (AP) — A 7-year-old girl who was bit by a rattlesnake while picking flowers in northwest Nebraska was recovering at home Friday after being released from a Colorado hospital.
Britney Klein was bitten on her leg Tuesday a few miles from her home in Harrison when she and her great-aunt stopped along the road to pick flowers for relatives they were going to visit, according to her mother. They rushed back to Harrison, and the girl was eventually flown to a hospital in suburban Denver for specialized care.
"She is doing awesome. She couldn't be any better," her mother, Lacy Klein, told The Associated Press on Friday before taking Britney to a doctor.
She and her daughter were initially flown to a hospital in Scottsbluff, about 43 miles south of Harrison. Britney's dad, Chris Klein, had to drive down.
"Probably three-quarters of that, (there) is no cellphone service, so it was probably the worst drive of my life," he told Denver television station KMGH. "Hoping for the best, but you expect the worst. It was a terrifying drive."
Britney was given some anti-venom on the flight to Scottsbluff. Then Britney was taken to the Colorado hospital for specialized care.