A New Twist on the Addage "You Are What You Eat"
Updated: Tuesday, February 11 2014, 10:55 PM CST
Stream Fox 17 newscasts LIVE starting with Fox 17 This Morning at 5 am and News at 9 pm.
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - In tonight's FOX Healthbeat: Eating your way to a healthy mouth. The next time you go to the dentist, don't be surprised if you get a suggested grocery list. Dental experts are learning more and more about the connection between what you eat and oral health, and how important the right diet can be. Want a beautiful smile? A new report by nutrition experts with Eating Well has a list of foods to help makeover your smile. Family and Cosmetic Dentist Greg Pohl says new research is shedding light on the diet-dental connection.
Heart disease, healthy babies, even diabetes may be influenced by bad bacteria in the mouth. This smile makeover food list might matter most over a lifetime.
1. Topping the list: an apple a day. It does work like a toothbrush to help fight cavities.
2. Got milk? It's loaded with Vitamin D.
3. Eat nuts and other foods you can crunch such as carrots and celery. They produce saliva to fight bad bacteria.
4. Try raisins. They fight inflammation in the mouth to fight gum disease.
5. Green tea is recommended for its disease fighting antioxidants.
6. Get garlic. Believe it or not, it works against bad breath.
7. Yogurt. Its good bacteria helps give your mouth what it needs to fight back bad bacteria.
Eating these often might really give you something to smile about. No matter what you eat, dentists say it's still important to brush twice a day and floss at least once. If you eat sweets, they say steer clear of sticky candies that can get stuck in the crevices of your teeth.
Follow us on Twitter @wztv_fox17 and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.