Top Stories
 
text size

Dollar General Bid Rejected by Family Dollar

Updated: Thursday, August 21 2014, 04:53 PM CDT
Stream WZTV Fox 17 Newscasts LIVE starting with Fox 17 This Morning at 4:30am, News at 5:30pm and News at 9pm & 10 pm.


MATTHEWS, N.C. (AP) -- Family Dollar is rebuffing Dollar General's takeover bid, citing antitrust issues. The discounter's board remains supportive of its existing deal with Dollar Tree.

   Family Dollar Stores Inc. Chairman and CEO Howard Levine said in a statement Thursday that its board and advisers reviewed Dollar General Corp.'s offer and determined it wasn't likely to be completed on the terms proposed.

   On Monday Dollar General -- the nation's biggest dollar-store chain -- offered about $8.95 billion for Family Dollar. The company said at the time that it believed it could quickly address any antitrust issues and was willing to divest up to 700 of its stores in order to get the necessary approvals.

   Last month Family Dollar agreed to an $8.5 billion deal with Dollar Tree Inc.


Follow us on Twitter @wztv_fox17 and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.Dollar General Bid Rejected by Family Dollar


Advertise with us!

Related Stories

 
Advertise with us!
WZTV FOX17 :: Local Radar