WZTV FOX 17 - Top Stories
Moving around can be tough for Terry Slone. A hip replacement gone wrong landed him on disability, so he gets food stamps, but last month this military veteran noticed more money in his account.
"They just gave it to us, I mean I appreciate it, like I said," says Slone. "But that was a waste of money."
Slone and everyone else in Ohio on food assistance got extra money in early July. The late June storms that knocked out power to tens of thousands of people had Ohio's Department of Job and Family Services asking the federal government for emergency assistance for everyone on food stamps. A prorated 13.3% went on every EBT card in the state to the tune of over $10 million coming out of the federal coffers. That means even people who didn't lose power, people like Terry Slone, got your tax dollars.
"If you didn't lose no food and your power didn't go out, don't pay the people for nothing," says Slone. "It's like paying someone walking down the street with a lawnmower to cut your grass and he don't cut, you know, it's stupid."
A representative with the Department of Job and Family Services who disperses the SNAP benefits explained.
"Without a mass replacement, families who had no power and no food would have been forced to wait for hours at their county JFS office just to fill out an application for replacement benefits. There is an administrative cost associated with processing paper applications. The mass replacement allowed us to maximize assistance and reduce administrative overhead."
So the bottom line is administrators say taxpayers would have spent the money anyway in bureaucratic costs. Slone says there has to be a better way.
"I appreciate getting it but I'd like to give it back to them if I could," says Slone. "I didn't lose anything."
You can find all our WASTE WATCH stories on Fox17.com. Just go to HOT TOPICS and click on WASTE WATCH. You can also submit your ideas for WASTE WATCH stories in that same section.
Thursday, August 9 2012, 10:45 PM CDT
Man facing extradition for murder claims innocence
June 17, 2013 20:24 GMT
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) -- A former U.S. Marine facing extradition to the Philippines on double murder charges says he is innocent.
Timothy Kaufman has been in jail since his arrest in April at business near his grandfather's Albany-area home. The 35-year-old from Knoxville, Tenn., is one of three men charged by Philippine authorities with killing a retired Northern Ireland police officer and his girlfriend in 2011.
Authorities claim it was a premeditated killing in an area known for its sometimes-seamy club scene.
In a handwritten letter sent to the media from jail, Kaufman says he would never do something as "heinous and stupid" as killing the couple. He says he left the country after the killings because he feared for his safety.
An extradition hearing is scheduled for June 25 in Albany federal court.
Oil rises past $98 on Syria, ahead of Fed meeting
(AP) -- The price of oil has edged above $98 a barrel.
BC-US--Dow Record-Three Personal Stories, 1st Ld-Writethru,1173
Dow Record: Three tales of ups, downs and changes
AP Photo FX102, FX103
Eds: With BC-US--Dow Record. Adds photos.
By SCOTT MAYEROWITZ
AP Business Writer
NEW YORK (AP) -- When the Dow first crossed 14,000, investors were overjoyed. ...
IN THE NEWS: INTELLIGENCE OFFICIALS CLAIM SURVEILLANCE NOT AS EXTENSIVE AS FIRST THOUGH
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Top U.S.