- Zach Mettenberger named Titans starting quarterback, Jake Locker classy in disappointment
- Reports: Zach Mettenberger elevated to starting quarterback for Titans
- Eddie George: LeBron James the Steve Jobs of Basketball
- Titans move Antonio Andrews to active roster
- Titans trade Akeem Ayers to Patriots
- Titans Talk with Jim Wyatt of The Tennessan
- Blaine Bishop: Winds of Change Blowing for Tennessee Titans
- Blooper with Taylor Lewan: The FOX 17 Sports microphone too close for comfort
- Titans Talk
- Eddie George: The NFL, Domestic Violence, PEDs and HGH
- Michal Roos' career with the Titans could be over
- Blaine Bishop: We are Who We Thought We Were
- Eddie George: Don't Hit Panic Button on Tennessee Titans
- Eddie George: Tennessee Titans' Fate Relies on Success Up the Middle
- Blaine Bishop: Tennessee Titans Will Beat Cincinnati Bengals
- Tennessee Titans Make Statement in Win Over Chiefs
- Titans vs. Chiefs Matchup Will Speak Volumes
- Justin Hunter and Mike Preston: Separated at birth?
- Titans accept Ice Bucket Challenge from former teammate with ALS
- Tennessee Titans: What to Look for in Week 3 Preseason
- RAW News: Tim Shaw discusses his A.L.S. diagnosis and Ice Bucket Challenge to the Titans
- Titans working to start games better, fix mistakes
- Fantasy Football Draft 2014: Tennessee Titans
- Tennessee Titans Week 2: What We Learned
- Fantasy Football Analysis for All 32 Teams
- Fantasy Football Draft 2014: Washington Redskins
- Fantasy Football Draft 2014: Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Fantasy Football Draft 2014: St. Louis Rams
- Fantasy Football Draft 2014: Seattle Seahawks
- Fantasy Football Draft 2014: San Francisco 49ers
- Fantasy Football Draft 2014: San Diego Chargers
- Fantasy Football Draft 2014: Pittsburgh Steelers
- Fantasy Football Draft 2014: Philadelphia Eagles
- Fantasy Football Draft 2014: Oakland Raiders
- Fantasy Football Draft 2014: New York Jets
- Fantasy Football Draft 2014: New York Giants
- Fantasy Football Draft 2014: New Orleans Saints
- Fantasy Football Draft 2014: New England Patriots
- Fantasy Football Draft 2014: Minnesota Vikings
- Fantasy Football Draft 2014: Miami Dolphins
- Fantasy Football Draft 2014: Kansas City Chiefs
- Fantasy Football Draft 2014: Jacksonville Jaguars
- Fantasy Football Draft 2014: Indianapolis Colts
- Fantasy Football Draft 2014: Houston Texans
- Fantasy Football Draft 2014: Detroit Lions
- Fantasy Football Draft 2014: Green Bay Packers
- Fantasy Football Draft 2014: Denver Broncos
- Ken Whisenhunt surprises Titans with a trip to the movies
- Fantasy Football Draft 2014: Dallas Cowboys
- Fantasy Football Draft 2014: Cleveland Browns
- Fantasy Football Draft 2014: Cincinnati Bengals
- Fantasy Football Draft 2014: Chicago Bears
- Fantasy Football Draft 2014: Carolina Panthers
- Fantasy Football Draft 2014: Buffalo Bills
- Fantasy Football 2014: Baltimore Ravens
- Fantasy Football Analysis 2014: Atlanta Falcons
- Fantasy Football Analysis 2014: Arizona Cardinals
- Justin Hunter fights to get his name back
- In His Own Words: Titans Offensive Line Coach Bob Bostad
- Fantasy Football 2014: Bills vs. Giants Breakdown
- Training Camp Week 1: Breaking Down the Tennessee Titans
- In His Own Words: Titans Linebackers Coach Lou Spanos
- In His Own Words: Titans Secondary Coach Louie Cioffi
- In His Own Words: Titans defensive line coach Giff Smith
Titans All Access Videos
Stream WZTV Fox 17 Newscasts LIVE starting with Fox 17 This Morning at 4:30am, News at 5:30pm and News at 9pm & 10 pm.
The Tennessee Titans' second game of the preseason was a much better gauge in the confined environment of Mercedes-Benz Superdome.
Both Shonn Greene and Charlie Whitehurst exited with injury, Greene hurting his right knee and Whitehurst his right hand. Whitehurst's injury was seemingly minor, but Greene's was far more concerning. On the bright side, he was able to stay on the sidelines with ice on his knee. If it were more severe, trainers would have taken the veteran straight to the locker room. However, it's not what anyone wants to see given Greene finally looked as if he had returned to form after dealing with injury the last few seasons.
* Jake Locker: He will carry a nice stat-line after completing 8 of 11 passes for 75 yards and a score, but while he did look his best to date, there are some adjustments to be made. First, Locker continues to lock-on to his receivers. The only time we saw Locker go through his progressions was during play-action. Otherwise, there were no feigns to other wideouts or scanning of the field. That might cut it during preseason, but against better defenses, the success will be harder to come by.
When he's running play-action, Locker looks like a different player. The clock in his head is much faster (because it needs to be), but he goes through progressions quickly and makes quick decisions. While he might tuck and run, he's able to create plays rather than forcing a sack because the target he's locked-on to isn't open. Part of this is Locker still adjusting and getting back into a rhythm after an extended time off with injury.
* Zach Mettenberger: In contrast to Locker, Mettenberger is better at masking his intent. While that's not enough to win him a starting job, he continues to show chemistry with second-year pro Justin Hunter. Mettenberger totaled 136 yards passing in just under a quarter of play, connecting with the Tennessee product for 107 of those yards and a score. Coach Ken Whisenhunt has made it clear Locker is the quarterback of this team, but Mettenberger's performances thus far provide reassurance should Locker fall to injury. He did notch his second pick in as many games, but receivers were to blame for each.
* Justin Hunter: The Tennessee product continues to show much more confidence in year two and has put his athleticism on display. His fade route catch for a touchdown from Locker was exactly what we've seen from him in practice over and over again. His 64 yard scamper on a crossing route from Mettenberger also showed his speed. If anyone on this team is poised for a huge season, it's Hunter.
* Taylor Thompson: The tight end continues to shine and has been a reliable target for all three quarterbacks throughout camp and during preseason games. Adding his presence to the trio of Delanie Walker, Justin Hunter and Kendall Wright in the red zone will spell trouble for opposing defenses.
* Shonn Greene: As stated, Greene was forced out of the game with a right knee injury. This is the same knee he had arthroscopic surgery on in September of 2013, followed by a scope around May of this year which kept him out of OTAs. Bottom line, this isn't good news, even if the injury is minor.
* Marc Mariani: The veteran has looked like a man on-the-bubble up until Friday's game. Anyone watching his performance against the Saints were reminded how valuable he can be in the kick return game. Mariani returned three kicks for 91 yards, setting the Titans up with good field position every time he touched the ball. If his spot wan't secure before, it is now.
* Bishop Sankey: The rookie showed more explosiveness with his first-step than we've seen before. The Superdome turf could have something to do with it, but it was another side to Sankey we haven't seen yet. He continues to impress with his abilities out of the backfield, his vision and toughness. Given Shonn Greene's injury, the organization has to be even happier with their draft choice.
* Jurrell Casey: The USC product shed some weight during the offseason and is showing the speed to prove it. Now, his strength has been combined with a quick release off the line. The result has been constant pressure from Casey, who will be a thorn in quarterback's sides this season. Aside from Casey however, the defensive line still leaves more to be wanted in pass rush situations.
* Wesley Woodyard: The former Broncos standout continues to get better with each week that passes. Woodyard was impressive against the Saints, playing with an aggression we've been waiting for from this linebacker corps. He totaled four tackles and two assisted tackles in just under two quarters of play.
There is still plenty of work to do, but with each week this Titans team continues to improve and give us a better sense of identity on both sides of the ball. The miscues and weak spots are not as glaring as in years past and all are within reach of repair. The bigger concern after Friday night is health. Several players suffered injuries, something the Titans can't afford as they adjust to a new scheme, new coaches and a new way of doing things. --Adrian Mojica
--Follow Adrian on Twitter @FFFdaily
|08/09||Titans||Green Bay Packers||LP Field-7pm (Preseason)||W: 20-16|
|08/15||Saints||Titans||Mercedes-Benz Superdome- 70m (Preseason)||L: 31-24|
|08/23||Falcons||Titans||Georgia Dome- 6pm (Preseason)||W: 24-17|
|08/28||Titans||Vikings||LP Field- 7pm (Preseason)||L: 19-3|
|09/07||K.C. Chiefs||Titans||Arrowhead- 12pm (Regular Season Starts)||W: 26-10|
|09/14||Titans||Dallas Cowboys||LP Field- 12pm (Home Opener on FOX 17)||Loss: 26-10|
|09/21||Cincinnati Bengals||Titans||Paul Brown Stadium- 12pm||Loss: 33-7|
|09/28||Indianapolis Colts||Titans||Lucas Oil Stadium- 12pm||Loss: 41-17|
|10/05||Titans||Cleveland Browns||LP Field- 12pm||Loss: 29-28|
|10/12||Titans||Jacksonville Jaguars||LP Field- 12pm||Win: 16-14|
|10/19||Washington Redskins||Titans||FedEx Field- 12pm||TBD|
|10/26||Titans||Houston Texans||LP Field- 12pm||TBD|
|11/09||Baltimore Ravens||Titans||M&T Bank Stadium- 12pm||TBD|
|11/17||Titans||Pittsburgh Steelers||LP- 7:30pm (Monday Night Football)||TBD|
|11/23||Philadelphia Eagles||Titans||Lincoln Financial Field- 12pm||TBD|
|11/30||Houston Texans||Titans||NRG Stadium- 12pm||TBD|
|12/07||Titans||N.Y. Giants||LP Field- 12pm (On FOX 17)||TBD|
|12/14||Titans||N.Y. Jets||LP Field- 3:05pm||TBD|
|12/18||Jacksonville Jaguars||Titans||EverBank Field- 7:35pm (Thursday Night Football)||TBD|
|12/28||Titans||Indianapolis Colts||LP Field- 12pm||TBD|
Submit Your Photos
Tweets by @TennesseeTitans
Tweets by @nflredzone