WZTV - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

South Nashville Apartment Fire Leaves Four Families Displaced - John Dunn

Stream Fox 17 newscasts LIVE starting with Fox 17 This Morning at 5 am and News at 9 pm.

ANTIOCH, Tenn. - An apartment fire will make Christmas very difficult for four families in Antioch. The smoke was so intense some residents had to jump from a second floor window. Those four families lived at the Meadowwood Village apartments on Rice Road. When firefighters first got the call, they were told people were trapped inside.

Firefighters surround building 37 at the Meadowwood Village apartments as residents fear their belongings will be destroyed right before Christmas. "It's sad, especially with everything that we probably lost, at least 90% of it," says resident Jasmin Plancic.

Jasmin Plancic was at work when he got a text message about the fire. His wife, mother and sister were trapped in their second story unit as the smoke grew heavy. "She jumped out the window, my sister, and my mom as well. Nobody was hurt, that's the best thing," says Plancic.

Another man was able to catch the women and help them to safety. All 13 people who live in the building are ok, but the fire did cause damage. "We've got damage to the downstairs apartment in one room, smoke damage throughout the building," says Nashville Fire District Chief Jim Norman.

With the Christmas holiday approaching, firefighters and the Red Cross are both taking steps. Several kids lived in this building, and firefighters were boxing up gifts that could be saved. "They understand exactly what has happened, so they take special efforts to try to preserve those things and make sure that we get it taken care of," says Norman.

It's possible a cigarette may have started the fire, but  investigators must still make that determination. Now four families are forced to move out, and they are hoping they can replace what they need in time for Christmas.
       
Firefighters tell us the smoke detectors were working in the building.

For news updates follow John Dunn on twitter @WZTVJohnDunn

Follow us on Twitter @wztv_fox17 and LIKE us on Facebook for updates.